Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Going Home

Hilton Head Island, SC
Fun fact: I love the sound of water; it is so calming to me. I've wondered why from time to time. Did I have an experience with water? Traveling "home" allowed me to realize being born by water probably had something to do with that lol. (If you don't know what I mean by home check out "Set The Record Straight.") Let's not forget I spent approximately 4 years of my life living on the island of Guam. Hey I am a Navy Brat so water is life lol.

So many of us do certain things not knowing why. Go back "home" and figure out why. Talk to your family and see what generational patterns need to be broken. Look at Rebekkah in the Bible. She was deceitful. Her brother Laban was deceitful. Her son Jacob was deceitful. Her daughter-in-law/niece Rachael was deceitful. They all have great qualities about them but good Lord talk about a generational pattern. After realizing their connections to each other I have wondered about the parents of Rebekkah and Laban.

Not all generational patterns are bad by the way. When you take a trip "home" you just may realize you do or like certain things because of your great-great grandfather. My grandmother ate Mr. Goodbars heavily when she was pregnant with my dad and now he loves the candy and so do I lol. I have an old friend whose mom ate fish a lot when she was pregnant now the result is my friend cannot eat fish or her throat will swell up.  A friend of mine's wife asked him why did he work so much. After having a self-reflection moment, he realized he saw his mom work so much so it was natural for him to work.



View from the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Going back to my family. I like to walk and talk on the phone in the yard. Outside of the fact that if I'm in the country with my family cell phone reception is better outside lol, my dad walks and talks. I have a sister who when she gets upset she will pace the yard talking. She gets that from my dad. If you seen the movie "War Room" you saw the prayer rooms were covered in prayers written on paper. When I tell you in my house the entire house is the prayer room. My dad has typed and taped scriptures and prayers all over the house. My dad will be up in the middle of the night and have his time with God. We had to write our goals down every New Year's Eve with scripture. Now I do the same thing even though I'm away at college. Hey Proverbs 22:6 is real. Any time I have a goal I write it down. I'll have quiet time with God no matter the time of day or night. I can give countless stories from my mom's side where forgiveness has been displayed in the most difficult situations. Trust and believe the different interactions dealing with people who have "wronged me" had me question "Why am I so nice?" I have a forgiving heart. It's actually easier to forgive than it is to hold a grudge. And another thing, I like natural daylight. If the sun is shining bright I don't see the point in having the lights on in the house. You better open the blinds or curtains lol. I get that from my mom's side. I actually think they keep the lights off to conserve energy and save money.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. 
~Proverbs 22:6

As I'm getting older and so close to graduation, I spend plenty of time reflecting on my mannerisms. I've had to use discernment to see what to keep and what not to keep. Also, understanding other people's backgrounds helps me deal with them better. I've realized everyone doesn't have the same "home," that I had.

Take a break from your hectic schedule and do a self-evaluation. Ask God to show you what needs to be removed and what needs to be improved. Talk to your family members. This is what helps me learn more and more about myself.

Relax, Relate, Release

~BreAllyse

Arsenic and Old Lace. Love the film. Love Cary Grant! This is my favorite line from the movie!!!:



No comments:

Post a Comment